Seems it’s about time to do one of these again. I don’t think my position has particularly changed, but some of these thoughts are worth restating, at least from my point of view. Look away now if you disagree!
Copyright. When you think about it, it’s kind of an odd idea. It has a pleasing emotional sense, right up until you end up on the wrong end of it, or think a little too hard. According to the simple explanation on the government’s website, copyright
- prevents people from copying your work
- prevents people from distributing your work
- prevents people from renting or lending your work
- prevents people from performing, showing, etc. your work in public
- prevents people from adapting your work
- prevents people from putting your work on the Internet
You get it automatically and don’t need to make any note of this, and it lasts decidedly longer than you’re going to be alive, since the term is “life plus…”. It propagates to other countries by a variety of international agreements, so is in effect around a pretty big chunk of the world.